Saturday, September 3, 2011

Lost baby chick

Well I had an interesting experience today. A baby chick wandered into our yard this afternoon. I walked outside to take the laundry off the line and there was Tristan sitting in the dirt trying to "pet" a frightened baby chick. And by "pet" I mean hit. I quickly grabbed the little frightened chick and took it inside and left it in the bathtub. That chick is a very lucky thing because our cat was sleeping in the shade on the other side of the house and never saw it wander into our yard. Otherwise the cat would have gotten it for sure. I had no idea what to do with the chick and had no intention of having a pet chicken...but I also didn't want to kill it. So Tristan and I went to our neighbors houses to ask if they had any idea whose chick it could be. One neighbor thought it might be the neighbors across the street so off we went to their house. I called "Coco" at the gate a number of times. "Coco" is the equivalent of us saying "Knock Knock" =). Anyway no one came to the gate so we walked around their yard and found abunch of chickens and it looked like two of the chickens had a number of chicks. I had no idea what would happen if I put the chick in there and it didn't belong so I was nervous but did not want to keep it in my bathtub all day. So Tristan and I went back to the house to get the chick and went back across the street again. I put the chick up beside the gate and it ran inside right up to one of the mommy chickens and cuddled up underneath! It was the cutest thing ever! I am so glad the cat didn't kill the little chick today and that I was able to get it home! It definitely made for an interesting afternoon =).

No comments:

Post a Comment