Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The Long Drive

Sarah and I recently completed the move from Virginia to Kansas, where we will be staying for the next few weeks. We are so glad to have that big thing obstacle behind us. I'll just recap the last week before we left for all you who are interested.

Sarah and I had both undergone surgery within the last month. Sarah had surgery on her arm to remove some titanium plates that had been installed when she broke her arm about 5 years ago. I got my wisdom teeth out a few weeks after that. So needless to say, we were fairly worn out just taking care of the baby after those procedures. Because of everything we had going on, some of our family took turns coming and helping us with the baby so that we could pack up our house. (I know, it doesn't sound like a great idea for both of us to have surgery right before a move, but we wanted to take care of those medical needs before we headed off to Africa AND while we still had Liberty's health insurance.) Anyway, thanks to help from our family, we were able to get our house all packed up and loaded on the moving truck in the time frame that we had planned.

Liberty University's graduation ceremony was May 15th and we had planned to go to that before starting our trip. One of my flight students was graduating and I really wanted to be there to shake his hand as he walked across the stage to get his diploma. I had trained him from zero hours and had been his instructor for all of his certificates (Private Pilot, Instrument Rating, and Commercial Pilot). It was a huge honor to see him graduate and see the product of 3 and half years of hard work. Those of you who are teachers know how proud it makes you to see your students succeed at something difficult to achieve. It was also a nice chance to say goodbye to all our friends at the reception following graduation.

After the graduation ceremony we left for Kansas. Normally, it isn't a bad trip for Sarah and I but we had never done it with a baby. About every 3 hours we had to stop to feed Tristan and give him a break from his car seat (which he is NOT very fond of by the way). So it was a lot longer and more tedious than we were used to. Never-the-less, we arrived in Kansas safely. As of right now, we are still waiting for the moving company to deliver our things to my mom's house. They should arrive today or tomorrow.

We have really been having a great time reconnecting with family and friends in Kansas and we are looking forward to the rest of the time we are going to have with them. We will be leaving the 18th of June. Thanks to everyone who is praying for us, we really appreciate it!

1 comment:

  1. praying for u guys as you prepare for the big move across the ocean. we know it is not easy, but we also know that He will carry you when it gets rough.